Saturday, August 05, 2006

Family Reunion


My brother, his wife Beth, and his daughters, Michaela and Mackenzie came to rockford this week for a visit. While Mike had been here for a short visit last month, this was the first time for Beth and the girls. Peyton and Reagan were excited to spend time playing with their cousins.

Thursday they all went in to the Children's Discovery Center (while I worked). As far as I know they had a good time. They did take the obligatory picture of the kids climbing the habitrail like stairs.

Friday was the big day. We drove in to the Cumberland CTA station and rode the blue line into downtown Chicago. My thought was to wait until after 9:00 to leave Rockford so that we would avoid the rush hour. Unfortunately, two things slowed us down. One, I took my car into the shop for an inspection and forgot to grab my I-Pass. That meant at least one of us would have to go through each toll booth on I-90 instead of taking the Open Road Tolling lanes. Oops. Then, I did not even think to look at the Chicago Cubs schedule. Apparently, when the Cubs play, many fans like to park at Cumberland and take the CTA into downtown. Apparently you take the Blue Line in to Washington, transfer to the Red Line and take it to Addison. By the time we got onto the CTA at Cumberland it was already standing room only. And each stop between Cumberland and downtown added new Cubs fans. We were packed in and very uncomfortable for the whole trip. One nice young lady did give up her seat for my daughters, and that was much appreciated.

After arriving downtown we were hot, tired, hungry and thirsty. We decided to eat before going to our initial target destination - American Girl Place. This was a first for Michaela and Mackenzie. It's always fun to watch the kids in the store as they pick out their dolls and accessories. I love standing outside the store and seeing the throngs of girls carrying their dolls as though they were coming to the city with their best friend for a visit. I'm always surprised by the number of people that you meet on the bus or in the park who will strike up a conversation with you simply to talk about the American Girls. Reagan sat next to two elderly ladies on the bus from Navy Pier to Michigan and Chicago and told them all about her doll.

After the American Girl experience we strolled along Lakeshore Drive to go to Navy Pier. It's a short walk, but very scenic. I enjoy the contrast between the lake and beach on one side and the skyscrapers and busy city on the other. While this photo doesn't show the city view that well, the way that lens focused on the girls up close made it appear almost as if their images were photo shopped in front of the beach. We splashed around in Lake Michigan for a bit to cool off our feet and continued our trek to Navy Pier. Mike and Beth took their girls to Build-a-Bear to buy outfits for their bears while Lacey, the girls and I sat down to watch a free show. You might enjoy this clip of a man juggling a boy (warning...high speed connection recommended).

We then went outside to let the girls enjoy a carousel ride and stand in the shadow of the ferris wheel. We strolled along the pier and I met this man, whom you will all recognize, sitting outside the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. I'm not sure where he was going, but it was nice to sit down and talk with him.

We made our way back to the CTA station to head home, and, thankfully, the ride back was much less crowded (we all had seats). After getting home everyone (except me) went straight to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home