Getting licensed

I know most of you read this to find out what's going on with Lacey and the girls, but I appreciate you allowing me to make a self indulgent post just this once. Today I was sworn in to practice law in the State of Wisconsin. Up until October of last year I had never (to my knowledge) been in the state, much less contemplated practicing law there.
It really wasn't a big deal to get admitted. All you have to do is be admitted in a state that provides reciprocity with Wisconsin (Michigan does), and pass the character and fitness requirements. Given the reputation that attorneys and the legal profession have, most people would be surprised at the high standards they set for attorneys. I had to report every traffic ticket I had (fortunately they did not go back to elementary and junior high school citizenship records).

Lacey, Peyton and Reagan came with me. I thought it would be a neat experience for the girls to see a proceeding in the Supreme Court chambers. It's probably the only time I'll ever be in them in an official capacity. After a brief speech congratulating us on our achievements (the speech was much more applicable to those who were being admitted for the first time), Justice Louis Butler administered the oath of office and welcomed us to the bar. The picture to the right is of me signing the official roll of attorneys for the state of Wisconsin. Apparently every attorney admitted in the state has signed this particular book. I couldn't think of the name of any famous Wisconsin lawyers to look up, so I signed my name and we were on our way home.

1 Comments:
What a neat experience for the girls. And, congratulations!
Post a Comment
<< Home