Just give me the ball...

I won tickets through work to go to see the Milwaukee Brewers play the Houston Astros at Miller Park in Milwaukee. Since there were only two tickets I had to make a quick decision about who to take. I couldn't take Lacey because it was too late for us to make arrangements for Peyton and Reagan. I could have called up one of my guy friends, but it was so last minute I didn't want to do that either (guys, feel free to let me know if I should have called and I'll keep you in mind next time an opportunity like this comes up). That left me with the option of taking one of my children.
I couldn't very well choose one child over the other, so we used the process of elimination. We would ask each child if they wanted to go, not telling them whether we actually had the tickets. If they both wanted to go, I was going to just give the tickets back and let someone else go. However, if one of them did not want to go, then I would take the other. Peyton wasn't interested, and Reagan was, so I had a date for the evening.

We arrived at the ballpark about two hours before game time. There was a private meeting room available for us until the game started. We ate a quick dinner and went out to explore. Reagan was intrigued by a large slide in left field. Unfortunately, it was not a kid's attraction, so we had to find something else to do. I bought souveniers for her and Peyton (seen in the picture) and we walked from end to end around the concourse. We settled into our seats and I warned Reagan that it was possible that a ball might come our way.

It turns out that I was prescient. Hunter Pence, the second batter, fouled a ball off into our section. It was a high pop-up and immediately the ball scavengers were hovering toward our row. I stood up and instinctively grabbed Reagan to protect her against the inevitable scrum pile that was soon to occur. As I did that, the ball bounced on the floor and landed right in our laps. I handed the ball to her and the crowd (in our section) cheered. Unfortunately, it didn't happen exactly that way.
I think (but I can't prove it) that I made some move toward protecting Reagan, but it was also designed to get me a better angle at the ball. It did land about two seats away from her, but also in the row behind her. Those seats were empty, so it was a free for all to get the ball. Seeing the ball on the ground, I dove over my seat reaching my hand out for the ball. As my hand was gripping the ball I felt a dull pain in my left eye. Oh yes, there are seats here, strategically placed approximately eighteen inches behind the row in front of them. That's what I think I hit. It didn't really hurt that much, and Reagan was happy to have the ball, so I just resumed watching the game. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the bruising around my eye. I took a picture so you can see the badge of courage that I now wear (and to absolve Lacey from any responsibility for the mark).

I thought for sure that Reagan would fall asleep on the bus ride home, but she was so excited about everything that happened that she kept talking the whole way home. Then again, maybe she wasn't so much excited as she was juiced up from the cotton candy.

9 Comments:
Pat, you should take the black eye as a chastisement for not giving that ticket to one of your guy friends . . . I can think of one that would have loved to have seen the game - and get a foul ball to boot!
Just kidding, glad you had a great time with your daughter.
you guys are just one story after another. that's hilarious. that'll be a date to remember for reagan. maybe you'll remember it, too, for a while.
I love the cotton candy face- I wish she had brought some to me......
Jeremy, I thought about you, but I didn't want the night out at the game to become a weight that kept you from studying for Sunday.
I would have had to turn you down if you had offered me the opportunity to go Pat. I have the responsibility of laying out the bulletin each week, and I just need to make sure that I keep myself rested for Saturday evening when I have to actually work on it. So...thank you for not inviting me.
I'll be sure not to stare at your eye tomorrow night. I'll probably just look down at my feet when we converse so you don't feel self conscious.
Pat,
Thanks for considering my preparation time for Sunday. But consider the wealth of illustration material that would have given me!
Shannon, be sure to include in the bulletin, "Message by JEREMY SCOTT" and could you put my name in a big red font? (pat, that's for you).
At least you didn't have to suffer like I did through the Tigers blowing a lead and and then losing the game courtesy of Todd Jones in the 9th. And it was hot at the ballpark ... And I didn't have free tickets ... I had to pay to see that mess.
Larry,
Perhaps you should have done what this Cubs fan did.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070626cub-fanjun26,1,6419077.story?coll=chi-news-hed
Then again, maybe it's a good thing you didn't. I do suffer through the Tiger games on MLB's gameday site.
Only you, Patrick! Once again you provided comic relief...to the point of tears.
You certainly made a memory for Reagan!
Jan
Post a Comment
<< Home