Saturday, August 11, 2007

Children at play

I've been so busy updating on what's going on with the adoption that I've neglected to post on the activities of Peyton and Reagan. In part that's because we haven't done a lot. The girls spent a little over a week up on Michigan playing with their cousins and visiting grandparents. Now they are back in Rockford and settling into the last month of the summer before the Berryman Home Academy begins its inaugural year.

Last weekend they had Patience over for a play day. It's funny, but adding a child in this instance actually leads to less work. Instead of looking to the parents to occupy and entertain, they seem to find a way to occupy and entertain themselves. Lacey did take them to see a movie, while I worked on editing a sermon video (I'll post it as soon as I find a way to upload such a large file). It was actually a great sermon on how we are called to serve a God who cannot be served.


Due to the flooding in the basement, Peyton and Reagan have lost their normal play area (albeit temporarily). When I came home the other day they showed me how they had created an operating room in Peyton's bedroom. I observed them performing some sort of surgery on one of their dolls (AG fans, feel free to let me know which doll this is). Then they showed me the rest of the patients in the hospital. I just love seeing children use their imagination when they play. One of the unfortunate consequences of our electronic media age is that it tends to stifle creativity. I much prefer seeing my children play together with dolls and dress up clothes over sitting in front of a computer screen or video game. I guess the latter has its place, but the former seems to capture the essence of what I associate with "being a child".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's Molly who's having surgery! In our house, we regularly have the AGirls in all sorts of crisis, war, snowstorms, etc...

Have you ever seen the clothes and dolls that Vision Forum sells? visionforum.com Their clothes fit the AG too.

Denise

5:19 AM  
Blogger Patrick Berryman said...

Actually, it wasn't Molly. But the question wasn't a fair question, since the doll was Reagan's just like me doll (Nikki). We live near Chicago, so one thing I'm looking forward to is making a special trip into the American Girl Place for lunch with Lovette and Yekekou where they can get their first dolls.

I've heard about vision forum, but I haven't checked it out yet.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home