Friday, March 30, 2007

More Vega$




I still haven't recovered from the $20 I lost (or didn't lose, I'm still not sure) when I checked in. Fortunately, I've avoided the casinos altogether, except for the period of time it takes to walk through them to get to my car or to wherever it is that I need to go in the hotel. I'm sure that it's designed that way. Somehow they think the the din of bells and beeps and cheers of table players who may have won a big hand will lure more people to place wagers where the odds are decidedly stacked against them. And you know what? They're right. They didn't build these ostentations palaces of decadence as a philanthropic endeavor. Everything here screams "We're beating you senseless", yet people keep coming.


There are some things that I like here in Vega$, and other things that I've learned to hate. For example, I like the fact that there a numerous shows that appeal to all ages. We've seen two magic shows and Tournament of Kings (much like Medieval Times). I like the fact that you can park for free at any hotel (of course...they want you to come in). I don't like the smoke filled casinos. Interestingly enough, none of the gift shops that I've checked inside casinos sell chewing gum, but cigarettes are fair game. I don't like the time share sales people. You can't go anywhere without hearing "Are you going to be here tomorrow?" or "Do you want to see a free show?" Ugghhh! Of course I'd love to see a free show, but you are making the mistake of thinking my time is "free". It isn't. And I don't want to turn my agenda over to you just so that I can save a few bucks to see a show. I like the lights. I hate the in your face promotion of sex. It's impossible to shield your children from this.


We went to Madame Tussaud's today. I've been to the one in London, and I think that it was more impressive than the one here in Vega$. Still, the girls liked it, and some (not all) of the figures were eerily realistic. I was impressed by the Extreme Magic with Dirk Arthur show. For one of the illusions he "transported" from the stage to stand on the booth right next to where we were sitting. I have no idea how he accomplished that.


We have a wedding to attend tonight, and tomorrow we will be travelling back home. That reminds me...I hate the pillows here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home